Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Let's Go! (Line Dancing?)


Every Friday I blog for Sunday Hatch. Here's today's post!

Oooooooh, are you sick of me talking about my trip to Greece? I am preeeetty sick of talking about it. In fact, I've talked about it so much it's like people are afraid to make conversation with me about anything else. 

But in all seriousness - just a few more posts about our upcoming travels, and then our travels will no longer be upcoming, they will be . . . over. Then I will be ready to tell you, perhaps with a little less jealousy, all about my sister and brother-in-law's new life in Scotland! (Now that you're hooked with that cliffhanger...)

This week was the finale of SYTYCD. For all you non-watchers out there, that's So You Think You Can Dance. Yes, it's a reality TV show. Yes, it involves dancing. No, it is not the same as Dancing with the I-want-to-gouge-my-eyes-out Stars, thank you very much. I will admit that I TiVO the show and fast forward through the judging and ridiculousness, but I do watch nevertheless.

This week was the finale, and as I was watching the dancing, I started thinking about cultural influences and what we consider our truly "American" styles of dance. And then I got on YouTube and found a wealth of examples of Greek styles of dance. Is it Riverdance? Are they line dancing? Yes, they just might be the originators of line dancing. Take that, Texans!

I can summarize Greek folk dance like so: 
(lots of) stomping + clapping + snapping + (lots of) jumping = Greek folk dance

But see for yourself. This is the Greek SYTYCD. What's with the old man putting on his jacket at the beginning? Anyone?




Oh, and Joe's Crab Shackers ain't got nothing on this waiter.


I am pretty sure I would tip heartily to ensure this happens during any one of my meals. This is what happens when you indulge me. Random Friday Post. Now, change the subject! 

It's the weekend, do a Happy Dance and see if your kicks are as high as that guy's.


No comments:

Post a Comment