Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Small Things


This morning we slept in, and then stayed in bed listening to the thunder and rain outside.  Mr. Dog was literally buried under the covers.  Every time we tried to drag him up to cuddle he would retreat back down to our feet.  He's such a little live heater, I can't complain.  My feet are always toasty.

Too much laziness starts to make me feel sick to my stomach, but every so often it's really wonderful to have a morning like this one where we don't feel any pressure to be responsible or any obligation to see anyone or accomplish anything.  It feels a bit like freedom from adulthood.  These are the small things that I appreciate more and more as they happen less and less.

People talk a lot about "carpe diem" and living every day as if it were your last.  If you were told that today was your last, would you clean your house, get all your grocery shopping done, bathe the dog, and finish paying bills?  Not me.  I would lie in bed with the most important beings in the world to me, listening to the beautiful sound of rain, not giving a crap that it was almost noon. 

Give yourself a day where you don't feel any pressure to accomplish anything.  It will reduce your stress level, and probably make you more productive when you get back to your regular schedule.  But most importantly, it will help you appreciate the small things you might not always have, and that you most likely take for granted the other six days of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment