Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A War to Remember


Do you ever forget we are at war?  I do.  All the time.

War is just not a part of my life.  That sounds selfish, but I think I am not alone in this.  I have no close friends or family in the military.  (My new brother-in-law was in Iraq for a year, but he is home safely.)  I have lost no friends or family to this war.  I do not watch the news.... too depressing.  This war is just not an every day part of my life.  I don't wake up and think about the thousands of men and women serving our country.  I don't really even notice all the stickers on people's cars anymore.  I have managed to be so far removed from the war that days go by without me thinking about the people suffering, the people dying. This war, the war we are fighting right now, is just not my war. 

However, I do have time for stupid TV shows, interestingly.  In fact, one of those that I'm pretty dedicated to is So You Think You Can Dance.  It's stupid, but it's not nearly as stupid as, say, the Bachelorette or Dancing with the Stars.  This show actually shows talent and its producers stick to a fairly high standard in terms of keeping the petty drama to a minimum.  As far as reality TV is concerned, this one should rate pretty highly.  Not to mention the dancers, if you like that type of thing, are tremendous.  So I save time in my life every Wednesday and Thursday evenings to see which of my favorite dancers are going to get the boot.  I'm a little bit sad we they go, but by the next week I'm ready for the competition again.  Sometimes the dances are even so good that I watch them more than once (thanks to all the episodes being online).

How many times has a news report on the war been so entertaining that you DVR'd it so you could watch it several times?

I'd guess Never.

Well, this last week I just wanted to say KUDOS, SYTYCD for this really special dance routine that brought certainly national, possibly international, and definitely MY attention back to where it belongs.  

Oh, what the ARTS can do to move people . . .




Thank you for the reminder that there are actual people out there dying.  For me.  It's not a happy thought, but it shouldn't be a forgotten one.

Just thought I'd share.

No comments:

Post a Comment